Questions About Employee Ratings and Employee Rankings
Rating employees is the most common method of "evaluating" employees in today's companies. While employee ratings are the easiest method of coming up with some values that purport to represent employee performance, they are far from the most effective way to improve performance. In this section we'll address questions and answers about rating employees, and its cousin, ranking employees.
- Are employee ratings more objective than other ways of handling employee evaluation?
- Are some rating systems more objective than others?
- Are employee ratings useful in improving individual employee performance?
- What Is BARS (Behaviorally Anchored Rating Scales)?
- Are Behaviorally Anchored Rating Scales Superior To More General Approaches?
Issues of Rater Bias
- What Is Rater Bias?
- What Is The Central Tendency Bias?
- What Is The Halo Effect Bias?
- What Is the "Devil Effect" Bias
- What Is The Leniency Bias?
- What Is The Recency Bias?
- What Is The Opportunity Bias?
- What Is The False Attribution Bias?
Employee Ranking & Rank and Yank
- What Is Employee Ranking?
- What Is "Rank and Yank"
- Does Rank and Yank Work To Improve Company Productivity?
- Why Does Rank and Yank Seem To Work? (The Jack Welch Syndrome)
- Rank and Yank - Fallacy #1 - New Hires Will Outperform Yanked Employees
- Rank and Yank - Fallacy #2 - Ignoring the Difference Between Incompetent and Less Competent
- Does Rank and Yank Put The Company At Legal Risk and Law Suits?
- How Does The Labor Market Affect Rank and Yank Success?
- Busy? We walk you through the complete process of managing performance, from goal setting to addressing performance problems and discipline issues. Contains ALL our help cards, and here's a sneak peak: Walk the path WITH employees.
- Well, we do. Here's a low cost mini-guide FOR EMPLOYEES so they can be active participants in a truly collaborative performance review.
- Well, you can't, so this short LearnByte guides explains how to identify barriers to employee performance, in order to clear them away. Diagnosing is the key to productivity improvement.
- Ok. Now you can have a reusable checklist so you don't miss any of the critical steps needed to succeed with your employee reviews.
- Save huge amounts of time and frustration during performance review meetings, by having set proper goals and objectives for the employee. Isn't that your job? To make sure employees know what they need to accomplish?
- If you think performance management = performance appraisal, you NEED this badly.
- ...and how damaging to your employees. We'll walk you through the entire process of dealing with performance problems with one goal: To FIX them, and improve productivity. And we ask for less than 20 minutes of your time.
- Prefer Kindle? Many of our quick read helpcards and also our books on performance management and reviews and how to make them work, are available via Amazon on the KINDLE. Click here to go direct.
- It's 2013, not 1945 and it's time to lose the industrial mindset and use management tools for THIS century. Here's ten steps to improvement.