Is A Performance Review The Same As a Performance Appraisal?
Basically, the terms performance review and performance appraisal mean exactly the same thing. Different companies use somewhat different words to describe the process of sitting down (manager and employee) to discuss, appraise, or review performance. There are other terms that also mean the same thing. Here are some synonyms:
- employee review
- annual review
- annual performance review
- performance evaluation
- employee evaluation
We prefer terms that stress that the employee and manager work together to discuss performance, rather than terms that focus on the idea that it's the manager's job to appraise or evaluate employee performance. We recommend that companies call them reviews or discussions rather than appraisals or evaluations.
However, it's worth noting an important exception. Performance management does not mean the same thing as these other terms.
- Busy? We walk you through the complete process of managing performance, from goal setting to addressing performance problems and discipline issues. Contains ALL our help cards, and here's a sneak peak: Walk the path WITH employees.
- Well, we do. Here's a low cost mini-guide FOR EMPLOYEES so they can be active participants in a truly collaborative performance review.
- Well, you can't, so this short LearnByte guides explains how to identify barriers to employee performance, in order to clear them away. Diagnosing is the key to productivity improvement.
- Ok. Now you can have a reusable checklist so you don't miss any of the critical steps needed to succeed with your employee reviews.
- Save huge amounts of time and frustration during performance review meetings, by having set proper goals and objectives for the employee. Isn't that your job? To make sure employees know what they need to accomplish?
- If you think performance management = performance appraisal, you NEED this badly.
- ...and how damaging to your employees. We'll walk you through the entire process of dealing with performance problems with one goal: To FIX them, and improve productivity. And we ask for less than 20 minutes of your time.
- Prefer Kindle? Many of our quick read helpcards and also our books on performance management and reviews and how to make them work, are available via Amazon on the KINDLE. Click here to go direct.
- It's 2013, not 1945 and it's time to lose the industrial mindset and use management tools for THIS century. Here's ten steps to improvement.