What Can I Do To Ensure The Appraisal Meeting Is Successful?
The appraisal meeting will be far more successful if you do the following: (adapted from Perfect Phrases for Performance Appraisal - How to Plan, Conduct and Write A Performance Review chapter). Much more detail for each of these elements is provided in the book.
- Discuss actual performance data/significant behaviors
- Compare data with responsibilities/goals
- Rate performance (if appropriate in your appraisal system)
- Maintain positive focus
- Focus on solving problems, not finding fault
- Solicit and use input from employees
- Evaluate in an as objective a way as possible
- Provide recognition
- Discuss specific actions for you and the employee to take
- Express confidence in the employee's abilities