How Can I Best Prepare For My Performance Review Meeting?
How you prepare will depend on how your manager wants to conduct the process, but we can provide some general suggestions for things you should do, and think about to prepare for your performance management meeting.
- Review your job description (it's just for background information)
- If you had specific goals for the period under review, go through them one by one, and write down how well you hit those goals.
- In situations where you fell short of your goals, try to identify WHY this occurred, and what can be done to remove these barriers to performance in the first place. Focus on facts, and NOT creating defenses or rationalizations.
- Ask your manager how he or she wants you to prepare.
- Clarify with you manager how the review is going to be conducted, what is expected of you, and how the resulting information is going to be used.
- Get and examine a copy of the review form that will be used to document your performance review meeting discussions. If it uses ratings, you might want to complete it on your own (you may or may not want to share your results during the review meeting.
- Prepare any questions you might want your manager to answer during the performance appraisal meeting.
We can help you with the various parts of a performance management system with our miniguides on each component.
Instantly downloadable and built to save you time.
There's even help for employees on how to navigate the process.