What Does "Data Gathering" Mean In Terms of Performance Management?
If we are to make decisions about whether an employee has succeeded at achieving his or her goals (to review during a performance appraisal), it helps to go beyond a "gut-feeling". Data gathering refers to the process of collecting data, or information relevant to the employee's goals and objectives.
For example, if an employee has the following goal/standard:
Answer all phone calls within five rings.
it would be helpful if we actually had some hard data so we could determine how many calls were answered in less than five rings, and how many were answered after more than five rings. Then the discussion doesn't have to be based on gut feelings, but can be based on hard data.
This can help reduce disagreements, since the discussion can be about more than opinions.
However, data gathering can be costly and time consuming, so generally, it's best done with goals and objectives that are very important. Data gathering need not only be done by the manager. In fact, often it's part of the employee's job to gather some of this data.
- Busy? We walk you through the complete process of managing performance, from goal setting to addressing performance problems and discipline issues. Contains ALL our help cards, and here's a sneak peak: Walk the path WITH employees.
- Well, we do. Here's a low cost mini-guide FOR EMPLOYEES so they can be active participants in a truly collaborative performance review.
- Well, you can't, so this short LearnByte guides explains how to identify barriers to employee performance, in order to clear them away. Diagnosing is the key to productivity improvement.
- Ok. Now you can have a reusable checklist so you don't miss any of the critical steps needed to succeed with your employee reviews.
- Save huge amounts of time and frustration during performance review meetings, by having set proper goals and objectives for the employee. Isn't that your job? To make sure employees know what they need to accomplish?
- If you think performance management = performance appraisal, you NEED this badly.
- ...and how damaging to your employees. We'll walk you through the entire process of dealing with performance problems with one goal: To FIX them, and improve productivity. And we ask for less than 20 minutes of your time.
- Prefer Kindle? Many of our quick read helpcards and also our books on performance management and reviews and how to make them work, are available via Amazon on the KINDLE. Click here to go direct.
- It's 2013, not 1945 and it's time to lose the industrial mindset and use management tools for THIS century. Here's ten steps to improvement.